Sunday, November 6, 2011

Not Just a Number

"147 million is just a number to most people, but when you see their faces and know their names, they become something more than just a number to you." David Platt: Secret Church 2011

Today is Orphan Sunday. A day to remember all of the orphans in the world, those precious children who don't have parents. And you know what? There are 147 MILLION children. 147 MILLION, do you get that? Kids- who don't get to live a childhood because they don't have people to love them constantly, and some of them are taking care of themselves. It is proven that if every family in the U.S. adopted a child from somewhere, THERE WOULD BE NO ORPHANS. NONE.

Do you see why I want to go to Uganda, so I can show children the love of a family? Today I was talking with a young mother in church, we were talking Wednesday after church about the book "Kisses from Katie". I told her Wednesday, "Can't you see me doing that? With all of those chocolate skinned children, teaching kindergarten and loving on kids in orphanages all day long." She jokingly replied, "And you can save a couch for me when I come visit you!" This morning, she came up to me and said, "I just wanted to tell you that after I pulled away I thought of something. No matter where you go I will be so proud of you. When I read 'Kisses from Katie', I could vividly see Christ shine in Katie's life, and I can see you serving somewhere because I can see Christ shining in your life too, and I just wanted to tell you that."

I just love her. And you know what? Africa was not in MY plan, I have always loved children, but I had always wanted to go to college and get married and have kids and homeschool them. But, that's my plan, not God's. His plan may be for me to go to Africa and teach and adopt kids, but I'm not totally sure yet. What this young mom said to me, encouraged me to keep praying, keep asking God to shine through me and that his will would be done in me.

Not at all am I saying I am perfect, because I'm not, at all. But, If more families in the U.S. would be willing for Christ's will to be done in them, than there would be so many less orphans in the world, and that means that there would be more children being loved by a family.

And now, on Orphan Sunday, waiting for God to tell me what to do in life, I can pray for all of those families, that 147 million wouldn't be just a number. That 147 million would be faces and names of precious children who are in need of love, and who long to be loved.

Would you join me in praying that people would be awakened to the will of God in their live's, and that God would make 147 million not a number, but names and faces?

I'm sure all of the orphans in the world would appreciate it. ;)
~Bailey

1 comment:

kaylee ryan said...

I feel God's plan is for me to go to Rwanda too.
Have a good night,
Kaylee